Saturday, December 13, 2014

Mark Hamill Talks About Star Wars : The Force Awakens !


During a recent interview with Yahoo Movies, Mark Hamill talked about Star Wars: The Force Awakens... revealed some pretty cool things. He starts by saying how he hated the beard he had to keep during all the shooting:

"That is what I call my contractually obligated beard. Listen: I think they look fine on other people. It’s just not me. I mean, I never got used to it. But face foliage is almost a part of the costume. And it does bring a gravitas, perhaps unearned, but nevertheless, it makes a statement that they wanted to make, and I’m more than happy to oblige them."

Then Mark talked about reuniting with Harrison Ford:

"Well, you know, he was someone that was unpredictable. I hadn’t seen him in years; I didn’t know what his feelings were. I know he’s sometimes grown impatient with people that don’t want to focus on what he’s doing currently and want to go stroll down memory lane. God knows, I’m used to that sort of thing. But who knew? And for him to jump back in so enthusiastically, I was delighted. It’s a wonderful character. Everybody loves Han Solo."

Mark also gave that interesting info about the new BB-8 droid that we saw in the trailer, saying that it's in fact a practical effect:

"They never cease to amaze me with what they’re able to come up with, you know? I said, 'How are you ever gonna top R2-D2, the most adorable droid in movie history?' And then they have this new one. I can’t even tell you his name, but you saw it in the trailer. And when they were demonstrating how they did this thing, live on set — because it’s not CGI, that’s a live prop — I was just amazed. They let me play around with it. [Laughs] I was running it all around at the creature shop up in Pinewood. I’m telling you, it’s an absolute delight. And not having thought that I’d ever go back there, to go back into that world, is just – I get the chills. It’s just so much fun."

Finally, he talks about the focus of The Force Awakens story:

"This is about the new generation of characters; I think that’s the most important thing. It’s the opening act of a whole new approach to the storytelling. So I never thought that the stories would be – first of all, I never thought I’d be involved in it again, period. And then when George [Lucas] said that they wanted to do more, I rightly assumed that it wouldn’t be our story, because we had a beginning, a middle, and an end. This must be our offspring and the current generation, with us there lending the kind of support that Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness did in the original. So no, [the trailer focusing on new characters] didn’t surprise me.  And I mean, I’m one of those people where I just think, 'Keep me out of it. I’ll ruin it, I’m sure!' [Laughs] I’ll show up and just ruin the whole thing."

No, Mark, we're sure you won't and the whole world is waiting to see you back as Luke Skywalker!

Also, if George Lucas said recently that he didn't watched The Force Awakens trailer, Mark has seen it and here is what he said to IGN.

"Oh my gosh. You know, I’ll tell you, the most moving aspect of them releasing that trailer was watching a [video] of other people watching it. My daughter put it on for me. It was all these people watching the trailer. Sometimes you get sort of isolated and disconnected because I don’t really follow it as closely as, say, [my son] Nathan does, but to see those people that thrilled, it was moving to me. I actually got a lump in my throat watching that. To see so many people that happy was a thrill. And it’s hard to believe it’s a whole year away that we have to wait but I’m practicing my phrase, 'You have to wait and see.' They asked me not to talk about it and I agreed but it’s hard. People want to know!"

Hamill then talked about the new cast of The Force Awakens that was teased in the trailer:

"I felt that the minute I met all of them. They’re all wonderful actors. I think they’ve done such a great job of not only the characters themselves, but the people they’ve picked to play them. John Boyega is just wonderful and Daisy, I just think the world of and Adam Driver and Oscar Isaac and Andy Serkis. They’re just… Like I say, this is in very, very good hands. I’m vicariously very proud of them even though I have no justification for being able to be proud!"

No comments: