Sunday, June 14, 2009
Disneyland released this short promotional video for the return of Fantasmic. The new dragon is unfortunately broken and it will take weeks to fix it, but you'll be able to see the new 37-foot-long eels Flotsam and Jetsam! You will see these new Fantasmic characters - eel puppets mounted on the top of a high-performance Jet Ski - even better on the other Youtube video from gunitballa87. Right after the videos, you'll find the official press release.
‘Fantasmic!’ Returns to Disneyland This Summer With Awesome New Creatures and Brighter Images
ANAHEIM, Calif. (June 12, 2009) – More powerful projection technology and some awe-inspiring new creatures – including 37-foot-long eels Flotsam and Jetsam – make “Fantasmic!” an exciting part of Summer Nightastic! at Disneyland. The long-running nighttime special-effects spectacular, presented on the Rivers of America in New Orleans Square and Frontierland, jumps off the screen like never before with stunning video and lighting effects that bring brilliant life to Mickey Mouse’s encounters with classic characters and menacing Disney villains.
What: The show combines animation on giant mist screens with lifelike Disney characters and performers. New to the show are Flotsam and Jetsam, the eel pets of Ursula the Sea Witch from “The Little Mermaid.” Another surprise in the cast of creatures is Captain Hook’s crocodile nemesis, now 12 feet tall, 21 feet long and - thanks to new “high-tech” animation – more lifelike than ever with snapping jaws that threaten Peter Pan’s hapless rival. Making its debut later this summer will be a fully animated, three-dimensional dragon who breathes fire across the Rivers of America. The 40-foot-tall dragon will dazzle guests like never before as the creature steps out of the shadows that concealed it in past “Fantasmic!” performances.
WHEN: Nightly, beginning Friday, June 12, and continuing through Aug. 23, with weekend shows through Sept. 7, at Disneyland. For details, visit www.disneyland.com/summer.
BIGGER, SHARPER IMAGES: All-new digital projectors have replaced the 70mm film projectors, revitalizing the images from classic Disney animated films that appear in “Fantasmic!” The result is a larger image with improved clarity and more vivid colors than even before.
* Flotsam and Jetsam, Ursula’s eels from “The Little Mermaid,” are each eight feet tall and 37 feet long.
* Central to the magic of “Fantasmic!” are the three mist screens, each 50 feet wide by 35 feet tall, upon which the films are projected.
* Approximately 9,000 guests can view “Fantasmic!” at each performance. The audience is approximately 70 feet from the main stage on Tom Sawyer Island.
* Each night, more than 100 cast and crew members bring “Fantasmic!” to life, in the
* Additional water effects include 21 fountains and six “whale tails” in the scene when Monstro the whale charges across the Rivers of America.
* At the beginning of the show, two light towers appear on either side of the main stage. During the day, these towers rest 26 feet underground. They rise to a height of 40 feet in less than a minute.
* The audio surrounding the “Fantasmic!” spectators is created by four speakers on Tom Sawyer Island and three on the mainland.
* Kaa, the conniving snake from “The Jungle Book” who slithers across the “Fantasmic!” stage, is 100 feet long.
* The “crew” of Captain Hook’s ship (the Sailing Ship Columbia by day) is composed of professional stunt performers who execute all the spectacular duels and falls.
* As part of the “Fantasmic!” story, the wicked Maleficent from “Sleeping Beauty” will rise to a height of 35 feet in 17 seconds, before transforming into a new dragon.
* The new dragon is a fully animated three-dimensional design that replicates the movements of the dragon in “Sleeping Beauty.” The dragon is 40 feet tall by 28 feet wide and weighs approximately 10,000 pounds.
* The dragon lights the Rivers of America on fire for 25 seconds.
Photo and video: copyright Disney
Many thanks to gunitballa87 for his great Youtube video!